- Clothing--in summer do not over wrap baby as it can cause fever Aircooling/Air
conditioning can be used.Remember just use one extra layer of cloth(cotton)
for wearing along with normal cloths as compareed to what mother feels comfortable
in the room.I winter heater or blower for shorter period can be used.Keep
baby warm by extra layer of clothing as compared to what mother feels comfortable
for herself.Best place for the baby to keep warm is next to mother.
- Mother should avoid breast feeding while lying down ,preferably sit up in
a chair or a bed where she feel comportable.MOTHERS SHOULD NEVER TAKE HOT
FLUIDS SUCH AS TEA,MILK etc, while holding the baby in their lap.
- Breast milk is the best,Exclusive breast feeding up to 4-6 months is the
Best and should be continued upto 2 years if possible.No water should be given
even during summers.It is misconception that if bottle feed is not introduced
early,babies won't accept bottle feeds later on.It is wrong concept to introduced
bottle feed at a early age for the sake of maing a habit.When and if at all
bottle feeds are to be introduced,discuss with your doctor.It depends on the
baby's requirement and social structure of the family.
- NEVER ADD WATER i.e dilute the milk even if you are using Buffalo milk or
even child is having diarrhoea.It top up feeds are required,tin milkformulas
such as LACTOGEN,SIMILAC are preferred,although any milk which is being used
at home(without dilution) can be given to the baby.If bottles are being used
strict sterility has to be followed by boiling bottles and nipples in boiling
water for 15 min each time before feeding or alternatively set of bottles
and nipples can be boiled once a day for 24 hours.Alternatively catorie &
spoon can be used to give milk.
- Feeding initially up to 3-4 weeks of age should be given on demand, baby
may demand feeds every 2 hours or so.Gradually discipline needs to be introduced
& feeding interval should be increased to 4 hourly or so,5-6 feeds in
- To start solids is calle weaning.Please refer to weaning section..Both solids
and water should be started after 4 to 6 monts.
- While baby is on breast feeding frequency of passing stool can be very variable.Baby
may pass stool after each feed although some babies pass stool once in 3 to
4 days.Both are normal.Color of stool & smell of stool usually do not
signify anything.However very watery stools ca cause dehydration.
- Jaundice or yellowness of skin is present in upto 50 % of newborn babies.Persistence
of jaundice beyond 4 week needs medical attention.Also high level of jaundice
which can be checked by doing blood test or if baby is relatively inactive,poor
feeding needs medical attention.
- Umblical cord should be cleaned with Betakine lotion atleast twice a day
till it falls off on its own by 7 to 10 days.
- Some breast enlargement, or discharge(blood or mucus)from newborn girl's
private parts can be a normal phenomenon.There is no need to worry.
- Remember if baby is sucking well & is active,baby si healthy.Occasionals
small vomits called posits are normal.In case of inactivity, poor crying,
poor sucking,fever, contact your doctor.